Article Processing Charges (APC) Information
- General Information on MDPI’s Article Processing Charges (APC)
- Journal Specific APCs
- Market-Specific Taxes
- Avoid Delays Incurred by Extensive English Editing Required
- Funding of APCs and BPCs
- Discounts on APCs
- Accepted Currencies
- Accepted Methods of Payment
- MDPI Invoicing FAQ
General Information on MDPI’s Article Processing Charges (APC)
MDPI publishes all its journals in full open access, meaning unlimited use and reuse of articles, in addition to giving credit to the authors. All of our articles are published under a Creative Commons (CC BY) license.
Authors pay a one-time Article Processing Charge (APC) to cover the costs of peer review administration and management, professional production of articles in PDF and other formats, and dissemination of published papers in various venues, in addition to other publishing functions. Please note that the option to process an advance payment remains but does not guarantee acceptance of manuscripts. There are no charges for rejected articles, no submission charges, and no surcharges based on the length of an article, figures or supplementary data. Some items (Editorials, Corrections, Addendums, Retractions, Comments, etc.) are published free of charge.
Here is a breakdown of how our APCs are used. In calculating these values, we have followed recommendations from the Fair Open Access Alliance, an organization that promotes sustainable and transparent scholarly open access publishing. This also makes MDPI fully compliant with the requirements of Plan S, a key funder initiative to promote Open Access.
|Service functions||% of total||Amount (Swiss Francs, CHF)|
|2000 CHF||1000 CHF||2000 CHF||1000 CHF|
|1. Publishing Operations & Projects||17%||34%||336||336|
|2. Journal publication||40%||79%||790||790|
|3. Editorial Fees||1%||2%||22||22|
|4. Marketing and Communication||4%||4%||80||40|
|6. Discounts & waivers||19%||19%||370||185|
|Total publication fee per article (CHF)||2000||1000|
1. Publishing Operations & Projects
MDPI develops and maintains its own electronic submission and peer-review website. We also run several platforms to offer different types of services for scholars, as detailed in our MDPI Initiatives page.
2. Journal publication
- Triaging: Filtering of papers upon submission by internal staff and editorial board members.
- Organization of peer-review: MDPI provides a high degree of assistance to Academic Editors so that they can only focus on editorial decisions. We employ in-house editors to invite reviewers, collect review reports, communicate with authors and reviewers, correspond with authors about revision, and more.
- Production: Copy-editing, typesetting, XML and PDF conversion, and language editing. The APC includes minor English editing by native English speakers. The APC does not cover extensive English editing.
- Proofreading: Corresponding with authors to approve the final text and requesting any missing information.
- Other editorial assistance: Handling any questions and requests for support before submission, during the editorial and peer-review process, or post-publication.
- Journal management & development: In-house Managing Editors track key performance indicators of each journal, and monitor competing journals and trends in the field. They also provide reports and hold discussions with the Editor-in-Chief and the Editorial Board.
- Indexing & archiving: MDPI has a dedicated team that works to continuously expand post-publication coverage of all our journals within the main academic databases, scope-specific databases and country-specific journal ranking lists.
- Digital preservation: All MDPI journals are digitally preserved cover-to-cover, by the Swiss National Library and CLOCKSS, ensuring long-term archival of all of our publications.
3. Editorial Fees
MDPI pays a travel grant or stipend to all Editors-in-Chief. For the societies whose journals MDPI publishes, the company provides a share of the revenue to the society.
4. Marketing and Communication
MDPI allocates part of its income to the promotion of journals and articles through sponsorships of conferences, scholarly society events, and other promotional activities, as well as a series of awards to support researchers.
- Management & administration includes costs related to salaries of non-editorial staff and other business costs. They include all the fees paid by MDPI for membership in publishing organizations, such as the STM Association, OASPA, and the Society for Scholarly Publishing (SSP), as well as additional publishing services such as Publons. Most membership fees are based on the level of income or size of the publisher.
- MDPI supports the activities of the MDPI Sustainability Foundation, including coordinating the World Sustainability Forum and World Sustainability Awards.
- MDPI is a debt-free company and is not repaying loans or investments.
6. Discounts and waivers
MDPI is committed to supporting the transition of all research to fully open access, therefore we regularly offer APC waivers or discounts. On average, we waive approximately 25% - 27% of our content every year. Of the total APCs in a journal, we waive and offer discounts ranging from 15% in our most established journals, up to 100% in our new or humanities journals. In many social sciences and humanities journals we waive between 70% - 100% of APCs (an APC is still displayed on these journal's websites, in order to demonstrate to authors that there is a cost to publication). Even some of our well-established journals waive 30% of publishing costs each year.
For journals in fields with low levels of funding, where authors typically do not have funds available, APCs are typically waived and cross-subsidized from fields for which more APC funding is available. For authors from low- and middle-income countries, waivers or discounts may be granted on a case-by-case basis. Applications submitted before article submission are assessed by the Managing Editor based on the quality of the research article and the authors’ ability to pay.
The APC by journal is given in the table below.
Journal Specific APCs
* For papers of type "Interesting Image", an APC of CHF 550 applies for publication in this journal.
Authors from Switzerland will have the local Value Added Tax (VAT) added to their invoices. Japan residents will have the Japanese Consumption Tax (JCT) added to their invoices at the rate set by the Japanese government.
Avoid Delays Incurred by Extensive English Editing Required
MDPI provides minor English editing by native English speakers for all accepted papers, included in the APC. The APC does not cover extensive English editing. Submitted papers should be written in good English and require no more than minor English editing before publication. Your paper could be returned to you at the English editing stage of the publication process if extensive editing is required, which could delay the publication of your work. You may choose to use a paid language-editing service, such as MDPI’s Author Services, before submitting your paper for publication. If you use an alternative service that provides a confirmation certificate, please send a copy to the Editorial Office. Authors from economically developing countries or nations should consider registration with AuthorAid, a global research community that provides networking, mentoring, resources and training for researchers.
Funding of APCs and BPCs
Many funding agencies and institutions explicitly allow the use of research grants for the payment of APCs and BPCs for publishing open access articles and books. For more information on APC and BPC funding see the following page.
Discounts on APCs
Waivers may be granted at the Publisher's discretion and should be discussed with the editorial office when submitting the article. The editorial decision making is decoupled from the authors' ability to pay the Processing Charges, however authors should consider in advance whether they have sufficient funds to cover the full APC/BPC.
MDPI also offers discount vouchers to selected reviewers.
Authors affiliated with participating universities receive a discount on the APC for any paper published in an MDPI journal. Note that only one discount through an IOAP scheme is permitted per paper, and that the discount can be combined with other available discounts (e.g., reviewer vouchers or discounts offered by the Editorial Office).
We accept payments in Swiss francs (CHF), Euro (EUR), US Dollars (USD), British Pound Sterling (GBP). Japanese Yen (JPY) or Canadian Dollars (CAD). Upon acceptance, the corresponding/submitting author will receive an e-mail with a link where the currency of the invoice can be changed.
Accepted Methods of Payment
MDPI currently supports the following payment methods:
For more detailed information on how to pay an invoice, please see our Payment Instructions.
APCs are payable within 5 to 10 business days.
Invoices are emailed shortly after acceptance to the payment contact provided by the authors. Only official invoices issued by MDPI (@mdpi.com) are valid. We do not authorize any third party to collect the APCs. MDPI is the sole service provider and cannot be held liable for actions by third parties.
For wire transfers, we ask the customer to pay the fees for both the sender and the recipient bank, so that MDPI receives the full invoiced amount. If you wish to pay by cheque, please add 12 CHF for processing fees.